Ten Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Health Plan
- Does the plan offer coverage for both in and out-of-network providers, or does it include a tiered or limited network?
- Are my doctors and hospitals included in the network?
- How much is the premium?
- How much will I need to pay every time I receive care (cost-sharing or out-of-pocket costs)?
- Does the plan include a deductible, and if so, what is the out-of-pocket maximum?
- What preventive care services are covered with this plan and how much will I have to pay for them?
- How much does the plan cover for hospital stays and inpatient or outpatient surgery?
- Does the plan include coverage for prescription drugs and are there any special provisions, like a separate deductible or mandatory generic program?
- Are my prescriptions covered under this health plan and how much will I pay for them?
- Does the health plan include coverage for ancillary or specialty services like vision, dental, or travel insurance?