Do I Need Other Types of Insurance?
Some health plans cover more than just medical services but, you may need to purchase additional plans to cover all of your needs, including prescription drugs, vision, and dental. You may also want to consider whether you need other types of insurance, such as life and disability or travel insurance.
- Many health plans cover prescription drugs, but if they don’t, this is coverage you should buy even if you don’t take any medications regularly. If you are sick or in pain, you don’t want to hold off on taking medications due to the cost, and you certainly don’t want to pay full price for them. Just like health coverage, prescription drug coverage covers a portion of your costs so that the prescription drugs you need are more affordable. You can often save the most money by choosing generic drugs over brand-name drugs. Learn what the difference is between generic and brand-name drugs.
- Vision care may be an obvious choice if you wear glasses or contacts, but it's important for everyone, even if you have perfect eyesight. Regular eye exams tell you much more than just how well you see; they can also help detect more serious conditions, like diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- You should have your teeth checked by a dentist twice a year. Dental coverage can help you stay on top of your oral health, and also provide insight into your overall health. Poor oral health has been linked to a number of other conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's disease.
Life and disability insurance
- If you have a spouse or children, it's important for you to buy life and disability insurance. Life insurance provides financial assistance to your family after you die, while disability insurance can cover you and your family if you become disabled and unable to work. Both types of insurance can be bought in short-term or long-term policies.
- If you travel, you may want to consider travel insurance. There are plans that cover your health care needs when you are away from home, offering comprehensive medical coverage and even plans specifically for students studying abroad. You can also buy coverage for your travel plans that cover unexpected cancellations, lost baggage, and more.